Welcome to the online diary of the “London Ziegs,” as they journal their experiences relocating from the balmy climes of sunny Orlando, Florida to the more chaotically cosmopolitan environment of London, UK!

Friday, November 21, 2008

Keys to Madness

This will primarily be of interest to other computer programmers, as I don't know many other people who make such heavy use of the non-letter keys festooned about the periphery of a standard computer keyboard. However, for a US-trained programmer making their living on Perl and shell command-lines, this was a startling adjustment:


If you don't see it, compare the location of the following symbols between your keyboard and the one shown above: |, \, @, ", #, etc. If it was just a case of learning a new arrangement, I could probably adjust, but since I brought my work laptop with me from the US, it would mean that they keys would move depending on whether I was docked or not -- clearly a recipe for confusion.

Fortunately, my new best-bud Brian of the IT department found an old US keyboard hiding on a shelf somewhere, and I was moving back at speed by the next morning. Still, it's something to be aware of when using other people's computers, public kiosks, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment